Sunday, May 15, 2005

what's in a name?

You know, i'm sure, of those moments when for some reason, be it tiredness or happiness or anger, you look at something and it takes on an entirely different meaning or appearance. I just got one of those while looking at my last name while searching for myself on Google. You know, like normal people do all the time. Went something like: "Hmmm... yeah... lots of them... hmmm... it looks a bit funny... its a little odd... man, its really quite weird... is that really my last name? surely not... really? I call myself that?..." and so on. Maybe now I understand why people look like they're trying very hard to keep a straight, affirming face when I tell them what my last name is.

Ah, life is sweet when you're too tired for anything to not be funny...

5 comments:

  1. What is in a name?
    'Tis nor arm, nor foot...nor any other part belonging to a man.
    Would a rose, by another name, not smell as sweet?
    So Romeo would, were Romeo he not called, retain that dear perfection which he owes...

    sorry, that's from memory and it probably has errors. There's nothing in a name, I mean look at Romeo, the biggest, girlest name ever and he's a symbol of absolute romance...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon there is something in a name - kinda like what Mick's mum said at his party. And in the bible, someone's name was always bound with theur reputation. Gonna try and name my kids meaningfully. first thing's first though: have to find a lady who will love me enough to abandon her dignity and take on my surname. Man, my sister sure has it good in that respect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...in that she will abandon her surname and take on some dignity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to name my children (or dogs) -Galileo Mordecai, Anthony Malachi and Ianthe Amaranth... in case you haven't noticed amranth is like the word of the century for me. Thankyou Mr. P.B. Shelley for introducing it to me. Ianthe was the name of Shelley's first daughter... I think. Or was it Iva?? Argh! I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Galileo Mordecai"... what a name!!!

    Haven't heard of P.B. Shelley, but I'm guessing he's a writer...?

    ReplyDelete