Sunday, May 15, 2005

three's a crowd

third post in 24 hours... yeah... i swear i'm not an addict...

I just discovered the most awesome flavour sensation. I wanted something sweet to eat, and when perousing the contents of my fridge, I came across an almost-empty bottle of cream. I had wanted to eat this cream for some time, but lacking a cake I thought I couldn't. However, this time I decided that my cakelessness would not get the better of me, so I took the bottle and mixed a spoonful honey into the cream - a trick that I've done many a time with plain yoghourt. Well, the result was delectable and truly delicious. Smooth, sweet and creamy - three of the best things any food can be, all in one deligtfully simple delicacy.

This wonderful food got me thinking. It reminded me of God's promise to the Israelites to bring them into "a land flowing with milk and honey", meaning that it was abundant with every good thing. We live in a land such as this - if I wanted to, I could go right now and buy more cream and honey and gorge myself on it until I was twice my current size. The "land of milk and honey" promised to the Israelites was the land of Canaan. This land was looked over by Abraham's nephew Lot in favour of the plains around Sodom, which the Bible says were like the garden of the Lord - I'm guessing that means Eden, and by that I'm guessing they would have been pretty darn special, and abundant in all good things. The problem is that the men who lived there were very sinful, greedy and immoral, which eventually led to the destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and, I'm guessing, the desolation of that beautiful land.
As I may have already said, I was challenged last week to "Love God, and fear nothing but sin." I think that as we live in a land of milk and honey, enjoying every day the abundancies that our wealth affords us, we should fear sin all the more. After all, from those to whom much has been given, much will be expected.

2 comments: