Sunday, May 22, 2005

anaesthetic

Coffee can be a wonderful anaesthetic. It can dull your pain when you think about the mountain of work you have to climb over and tumble down. It can dull your pain when you think you're socially inept by dulling your wits enough to overcome rational thought. It can dull your pain when you know that you haven't had anywhere near enough sleep, by making you forget your tiredness. It can dull the shock of an unexpected situation. Its warmth and smoothness can soothe the emotions and lend a shallow peace to a troubled mind.
I have a mountain of work to try to climb now, and I've already had too much coffee. It's making me socially inept because it's making me forget that human beings need sleep (and plenty of it). I'm sure to come across an unexpected situation that will trouble me in the next day or so because of this. And what did I just have? Another cup...

No comments:

Post a Comment