Sunday, July 19, 2009

two a: God is trinity

“God is trinity - Father, Son, Spirit”

On a cold June evening I sat and thought, looking over a dam and the darkening trees. It was a good place to think, because it seemed as though everyone else was too afraid of the cold to come near. Trees, silence, sheep, the slowly-appearing stars and God.

When thinking about how the Father, Son and Spirit work together in all things, I came to understand better that the Spirit is a person, and my belief in God became more thoroughly Trinitarian. Then I thought about how I know the Father as “my Father”, and Jesus as “my Lord” (or, well, Jesus), in my thinking and prayer and stuff; but i didn't have such a name for the Spirit, even though He too is my God.

On the basis of John 14:16,17 I settled on “my Counsellor”.

Just thought I'd share that. Not really sure why.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think Jesus is also a counsellor/advocate/helper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes: in addition to his earthly ministry of teaching and healing, check out Revelation 3:17-18. Also, Hebrews is saturated with the idea that Jesus is our advocate/mediator.

    ReplyDelete