Tuesday, July 07, 2009

post-ancon thoughts


This is a picture of the start of my EU Annual Conference material review - a landmark event appropriate for a life-changing week. As I told my review group (8 was great!), I've never actually gone over any AnCon material at home, even though I think I've intended to each of the 5 years previous. Though this whiteboard full of thoughts is not exactly the AnCon material, it represents fairly accurately what I brought away from AnCon (I say "fairly" because I know there's one I've forgotten already!). My intention is to explore each of these thoughts, one by one, post by post - not only to describe some of what we learnt at AnCon, or to help you think some of it through yourself, but to make myself publicly accountable for thinking through each of these thoughts more thoroughly. Maybe God will even jog my memory about the one(s) I've forgotten as I go!

Here are the thoughts, in order of pondering:

1. Spiritual maturity is more important than marriage
2.a. God is Trinity - Father, Son, Spirit - reflection on personal names
2.b. God is Trinity - distinct in person, one in being, purpose and action
3. It's time to get going
4.a. Do not be afraid of Satan - the One in me is greater than him
4.b. Do not be afraid of Satan - evil is already pwned!
5. The One whose presence filled the temple such that nobody could enter has taken up residence in me
6. Where the Spirit of Christ is, there is freedom
7. The Spirit gives gifts to build Christ's body; eagerly desire them out of love for your brothers
8. Reading the Bible gives the Spirit material to work with when reminding you of Christ's words
9. Sin deserves only extreme Spirit-ual prejudice (and prejudice is definitionally a matter of foresight, not hindsight)
10. Revival starts at home
11. (just thought of this) The best worship songs start at God.
12. (EDIT - added later) The Spirit's work is fairly ordinary-looking

That's just the order I wrote them down in. I may not write posts on them in that order, but I do promise to write posts on them all, along with any further thoughts I've forgotten (or which come to mind and seem important and relevant enough). It's a substantial goal, but I'm not too phased by that - I have two and a half weeks left with nothing do to but drive flu-incubating flesh wagons.

Please feel free to question, clarify, correct, rebuke, encourage, explain or direct. I am not perfect, and you'll be helping me out if you do so.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man,
    Love the reflective process. You've got some great thoughts going, especially like the "Revival starts at home" one.
    God can do incredible things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That He can! And has, frequently. AnCon was neither the first, nor the last, and that's just awesome.
    Yeah, "Revival starts at home" was something I was thinking about all week... It's going to be good to get into that one.

    ReplyDelete