Friday, March 16, 2007

doing nothing

It's amazing how much doing nothing can have a negative impact on your day.

I mean, usually when I'm talking about doing "nothing" I'm talking about sitting in front of my computer wasting time doing menial or useless things. Just like I did today. I spent about 3 hours trying to do something that I could have done in 15 minutes, had I known. ARGH!!! I have a love/hate relationship with my computer, but that's not reflected by the amount of time I spend on it.

No, in comparison, doing "nothing" would probably involve just sitting somewhere outside and pondering life and the things I see, and that's one of my favourite things in the world. I've been doing it a lot lately, particularly at night when it's cool, dark and serene. It's a salve for the busiest of minds - among which mine has an honorary life membership by virtue of the fact that it used to be but has gotten too slow and cluttered to be busy anymore.

Last night, had I been in Hollywood, I would have spotted a dead body floating in the bay, and would have calmly alerted the police while keeping an eye on it. I wasn't really in an excitable mood last night - probably would have just said "poor bugger" and kept pondering the reflections of the lights from the bridge. Well, maybe not, but that's what I felt like at the time. Actually, that scenario reminds me more of a British TV drama than a Hollywood movie.

What better thing to do when you've spent your day doing nothing than to write about nothing, hey? :o)

1 comment: