Thursday, July 07, 2005

la mer, reclaimed

The sea has always fascinated and amazed me. I am always struck by its beauty, its vastness and its indomitable power. It writhes and surges like a massive beast slumbering fitfully, close enough to the entrance of our world that it could crush us if it awoke. It listened to a man once, but it was He who created it and it knows no such obedience to us. It sprawls out far from the shore, tempting me to see what lies beyond the furthest waves. It is so beautiful as to make me stare in awe for hours, abandoning all problems to the hypnotic constancy of the rhythm of the waves that disturb the stillness of the dark blanket sprawled out before me under a fading sky. No problem, no pride, no power is so large as to not be dwarfed by the sea.

5 comments:

  1. it's back... this one went walkabout but i've re-posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but my comment is gone.... :(
    really true though... I love watching the ocean. tis the best.. I just don't get to do it real often given location :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it has the same impact listening to someone else describing it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, you're right there. my feeble words can't shape up to God's handiwork.

    ReplyDelete