Saturday, October 25, 2008

rediscovery

I've been listening to a lot of Coldplay lately. It's been inspired by the need to do a presentation for my Music and Politics course at uni, but it's resulted in me finding again just how much I like this band. I'm particularly getting wrapped up in the latest album, "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends". Weird name, I know, but the band just really seems to have taken up once again the challenge of pushing their own boundaries and not being satisfied with doing the same old stuff. It's a rich album that I've had to grow to like - it's largely different to any of the music from their first three albums, and the songs are pretty much quite different from each other. I would liken it to an art gallery with paintings by different artists in different styles, rather than a gallery of one artist's work. But anyway, I'm enjoying the experience, and of course it's not just the new stuff which I love. I still remember how awed I was when I first heard "Shiver". That is a great song.

Could anyone provide be with the reason so many people dislike Coldplay?

Music is my solace at the moment. The rest of life is hard. I think adulthood is staring me in the face and daring me to stare it back down, and I'm not sure I have the strength yet. I still feel as though I'm a boy playing grown-ups with my friends, and I laugh at myself inwardly for taking everything so seriously. The thing is, food matters. Having a roof overhead every night is no game. Being polite and loving actually affects how life plays out. Sitting around studying the Bible has eternal ramifications. Organising a uni Christian group affects people's lives both now and forever. Part of me feels the weight of these things, but part of me is rejecting this knowledge as though it was a splinter under the skin of my psyche, and so I am feeling more escapist than ever right now. Now, when I need most to have my eyes open and facing forwards.

Speaking of eyes, my right eye is getting weak. First time I've ever not been able to read the bottom line of an eyesight test was yesterday with just my right eye. That's a little disappointing, but I've known something's been up for a while. It explains why my left eye feels tired most nights - it's compensating for the right one. I think I'm going to see an optometrist when things settle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment