Monday, May 15, 2006

ignorant cardboard

Who of you has watched John Saffran vs. God? I watched some yesterday, and found it quite funny. Then I watched the episode where he visits the exorcist. After watching, it took me about 10 minutes before I moved out of my seat, which affirms what I believe about ignorance being the greatest work of Satan over Western society. Nobody acts like that.

It makes me recall something from a C.S. Lewis essay that was read to us at Connect one night this year. Part of the vibe was that there is no such thing as a mortal human being - after God's final judgement we will eternally be either a creature of unimaginable glory or of unimaginable horror, according to whether we are saved or not. We aren't this yet, but we have been given a deposit to guarantee it. We who are saved have the Holy Spirit of the living Jesus in us, whose glory our eyes can't see except in changed lives and hearts, which rightly point us to God as the source of these. But the glory of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us would be all too evident to the demons in the world (and why should there be fewer of those in the world now than there were when Jesus walked the earth?), and that would fill them with terror. Something interesting to ponder... Satan is scared of us. Why else would he attack us with a curse of ignorance? If we were aware of all He did, then surely we would be far more effective tools against Him in Christ's hand than we are now.

P.S. If my rants ever turn heretical, please tell me.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man... stumbled on your blog and I see that you've been to Berlin. I'm looking for a real Holy Spirit all out God believing Church there. Got any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to one church, called the American Church in Berlin, I think. It was in an old building called Lutherkirche in a suburb somewhere south of Potsdamerplatz (they said it was a bit of a dodgy suburb, but it was fine on a Sunday morning). Wait, I just looked it up, it's in Schoeneberg, kinda in the middle of Dennewitzplatz which is just to the south-east of the U-bahn station (I think it was U-bahn...).

    The people there were welcoming and friendly, which was great. I was a little disturbed by their theology though, which didn't seem to be thoroughly grounded in the Bible, which is what an all-out God-believing church should exhibit. Also, the service format was very traditional (it's an independent church but I think it has fairly strong Lutheran ties) which I know some people believe is the opposite of being filled with the Spirit (I don't know what you think about that, but I hope you don't have that view because it's not a very legitimate one).

    See how you go! And if you go there, tell them an Australian with dreadlocks pointed you there, and see if they remember me! :o)

    ReplyDelete